Nov
20

Because these are their rights …

Filed Under (Global Perspective) by on November 20, 2009 and tagged , , ,

poverty_kenya_zoriahFollowing World War II, the United Nations adopted its first Declaration on the Rights of the Child on November 20, 1959. Included in it were 10 principles that began to outline the basic rights that children were entitled to. Thirty years later, on the same date in 1989, the Conventions on the Rights of the Child (CRC) was adopted by the United Nations, which expanded the 10 principles to 54 declarations that identified not only the basic rights of children, but also protocols for how the rights should be implemented. It is legally binding and states that countries must act in the best interest of the child. To date, 193 countries have signed it and are now bound to it by international law. This includes all of the members of the United Nations, except two countries – the U.S.A. and Somalia.

Today, which is known in Canada as National Child Day, marks the 20th anniversary of the CRC. To learn more about how the CRC developed and how children are being treated around the world in present times, take a moment to watch the State of the World’s Children’s special edition video – 20 Years of Child Rights

In our class, we have been learning about different individuals like Craig Kielburger from Ontario, Canada who at 12 years of age in 1995 laid the groundwork for his international organization Free the Children which inspires children to become agents of change around the world. Another organization, UNICEF, was created in 1946 by the United Nations to provide food, clothing and health care to children who faced famine and disease after the end of World War II.

In the next weeks that follow, we will be continuing to examine the challenges that globally face children and why the declarations within the CRC are needed. One of the questions we hope to investigate is: What can we do to help?

Division 2, carefully watch the video above – more than once if necessary. What do you notice about its two main characters?  What thoughts come to mind when you watch this?

image: zoriah_photojournalist_war_photographer_kenya_child_children_poverty_poor_20090119_3316 by zoriah through Creative Commons license

6 Responses to “Because these are their rights …”

1.   kennedy Says:

I notice that the boy on the left is a normal boy just living his normal life like going to school and getting dressed in the morning and has a house and a bed. THe other boy on the right has no bed lays on the floor gos and works all day by making shoes that the other boy is wearing.I can Infer that the boy on the right was forced to work there.

2.   stephanie Says:

My thoughts about the video that I watched is that the boy in the right side was working in a shoes factory early in the morning the boy in the left side was living in a house with lots of stuff and he can go to school, the boy who’s wearing the shoes was made by that other boy in the right side.

3.   hannan Says:

Hello everyone! I can not believe that the United States hasn’t signed the Rights of the Child! You would think that they would sign first because they have had a president for more then 20 years and at least one president would have signed for it! My thoughts on the video are that it is quite sad. The boy on the right is the boy that works in a shoe company and he has to miss school so that he can work for his family. He has to work all day while the boy on the left goes to school, has an education, friends and a life! He probably doesn’t realize this but in the end he is actually wearing the shoes that the less fortunate boy was making! I bet that right now I have worn shoes or some piece of clothing that a little child somewhere else has made and missed school, and doesn’t have an education because he has to work all of his life. it really makes me wonder…

4.   myah Says:

Hi, I noticed that the kids in the video are around our age one of them is just a normal kid like us going to school doing kid stuff but the other one was hard at work making shoes. They show the kids going thorgh their day. One of them is doing school work, eating lunch, walking home but the other one was just working the whole day. Then at the end of the video I nodiced that the kid like us was wearing the shoes that the kid that was working made. I think this is hard to watch. I would hate having to work like that.

5.   tanner Says:

Hi. The video really makes me think about how lucky I am to live in Canada. It is strange to think that some kids here are complaining about vaccuming and there are other people that are being used as soldiers and aren’t complaining.

6.   chevaun Says:

On radio head the little boy on the left has an education and the boys on the roght don’t. I would hate to work for the whole day and not have any fun. I would also hate to work like the people on the right. The kids on the right have to make shoes for other people around the world to wear. At the end the little boy took off his shoes that the boy was making. I feel really sorry for the kids on the right because they have to sleep outside. I feel really lucky that I live in an actual house instead of outside because that would be really cold for me!