Sep
20

Ready to Make Ripples Again

Filed Under (Community) by on September 20, 2013 and tagged , , , , , ,

After a longer hiatus than expected, the Ripplers are back! We’ve had a busy first few weeks of school and we’re getting our feet wet in the blogosphere again. One of our first tasks has been to visit Mrs. Smith and the Huzzahnians as we learn how to be effective commenters. We really enjoyed her post Be More Awesome¬†and watching Kid President’s Pep Talk. We know he was speaking to us, too! It fit right in with what we’ve been discussing in class.

We’ve been talking a lot about what it means to “show up” to learn and how to keep thinking our way through those tough spots that we all encounter at some point. What can we do to help ourselves? Sometimes, it’s easy to get caught up in our struggles rather than search out creative solutions that move our thinking forward. Watching The Broken Escalator got us thinking about what our options are when we get stuck in the different and sometimes difficult learning situations we face.

What do you do when you face the unexpected? How can we find solutions to difficult situations where we just feel stuck? What skills do we need to be solution-oriented rather than problem-focused? We’d love to hear your thoughts on this, too.

24 Responses to “Ready to Make Ripples Again”

1.   Chad Says:

Hello, Mrs. Braidwood. I love the video because it’s really funny. If I was stuck then I wouldn’t just sit there. I would find a way to get unstuck! What would you do if you saw someone get stuck on an escalator? I would suggest that they just walk up to the next floor. Hopefully, their shock and panic wouldn’t get stop them from listening to advice. If that happened, I’d show them they wouldn’t have to worry and that there is a solution.

2.   Kylea Says:

Hello Mrs. Braidwood,
    I really enjoyed watching this video because it is a perfect example of when people get stuck in life or have troubles they will sometimes rely on others to help, or even solve their problem for them instead of actually thinking of a way to help themselves. When an unexpected situation happens some people will panic and not think about all their options they could use before they ask someone for support, just like the people in the video. Instead of dwelling on the situation you need to try and help yourself by finding a solution to solve the problem. When I come across something unexpected, I find something that will help me or I try to help myself by thinking positive so I don’t get discouraged and let myself down. If none of that works I would find help.
    What do you do to help yourself when something unexpected happens in your life?

3.   Jordan Says:

Hi, Mrs. Braidwood. I think to be solution oriented you need to be upbeat and focused on the solution not how bad the problem is. If you’re focused on how bad the problem is it will make you sad and you won’t be able to think of a solution to the problem. But if you focus on the solution you can think of ways to get out of the problem no matter how bad it is. You have to think of your options and try as many possibilities as you can until something works. What do you do when you get to a problem that’s difficult to get out of?

4.   Danika Says:

In the video they are giving up and not trying at all. If I was in the escalator and it stopped I would try to do something about it and not just sit there and do nothing! I would believe that I could find a solution without relying on others to solve it for me. I would walk up the stairs for starters, but I don’t think that is what the video is about. I think the video is about not giving up and problem solving.

5.   Ethan Says:

The people on the escalator gave up. They only thought about getting the escalator fixed. They never thought about doing something else to help themselves get off of it. You can’t just rely on one person or one way of fixing a problem. It’s important to try to think your way through a problem because you are going to run into them. Think positively and don’t stop trying.

6.   Claire Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood. My opinion is that if we are trying to think of a solution we need to stay positive and believe that there is a way. We can think for ourself and don’t look for help too quickly. It’s important to learn to think for ourselves. How do you think we can stay solution focused?

7.   Charli Says:

Hello, Mrs. Braidwood. I really enjoyed your choice of this video. When I face the unexpected, I do my best to figure out a way to fix my problem. Most problems can be solved if you think about different things to try. In my opinion, when someone is in a situation where they just feel stuck, they should be more open-minded! I think one of the important things about this video is it’s telling you to keep trying. Don’t give up because of a small bump in the road.

8.   Tristin Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood. When I face the unexpected I calm down and think about the situation. I try to figure it out because I don’t want to stay stuck. Sometimes it’s really hard to think about solutions, but keep trying because I think there is a solution for everything.

9.   kolby Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood. When I face the unexpected I calm down and think about the situation and take action. I don’t think about being stuck. I think positive. I believe I can find a way out of a problem. The people on the escalator only thought about being stuck and were waiting for someone else to come to save them rather than relying on themselves.

10.   Ria Says:

Hello Mrs. Braidwood,

When I face the unexpected I feel shocked and I don’t know what to do. But if I was the people who were stuck on an escalator I would just walk up the stairs because I already know that I can do that. If I was in a situation where I didn’t know the solution right away I would try to figure it out. The people who were on the escalator were only thinking one way instead of other ways to solve the situation.

11.   jaiden Says:

When I face the unexpected I usually stop and think about what I should do. We can stop, take deep breaths, and then once we’re calm we can think of a solution. The skills we need are the ability to stay calm under different circumstances, think positively and make things happen for ourselves instead of relying on others to solve it for us. There was an easy solution to the escalator problem, but the people stuck on it just focused on the problem and thought it was impossible to solve it without getting the escalator fixed.

12.   Jarin Says:

Hi Mrs.Braidwood. I think people should just think for themselves. When I face a problem I think for myself or I ask for help. If someone needs help offer to help. The important part is always to keep going until you find a solution.

13.   jackson Says:

I would try to find a solution and never give up. Those people gave up right away. Giving up means you will never get anywhere but trying means you’ll get somewhere.

14.   Darian Says:

The message is never give up because you will never get anywhere. You should figure out a solution or go find help.

15.   Keira Says:

Hello Mrs Braidwood,

This video is funny because if I were stuck on the escalator I would just walk up the stairs and go tell someone to fix it. The people stuck on it were only thinking there was one way to solve it. They could have made a connection back to the fact that an escalator is a lot like stairs. Maybe they would have been able to problem solve better. This video also explains how people rely on technology or how they’re use to doing things.

16.   Paolo Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood,

I think the people that are stuck on the escalator are thinking that there is only one way out. They are so tangled up on a little problem they can’t think for themselves. There are different ways to fix a problem and it’s important to try to find a way before calling for help. Sometimes we need help but we should try it ourselves first.

17.   Sky Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood. I loved the video. It was super funny because the people that were stuck and didn’t know how to solve the problem. Even the repairman didn’t have another solution. What I do when I face the unexpected is I think how can I fix the problem and what could fix the problem. Then I try to see what will work. The people in the video didn’t problem solve at all.

18.   Emma Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood. I really enjoyed watching the video because it’s a great example of when you get stuck in a problem in life. When I face the unexpected one of the first things I do is think about the situation and try to figure it out. I also try and stay positive in the situation. If people are in a situation the best thing to do is believe in yourself. What do you do when you’re stuck in a tough situation?

19.   Dawson Says:

Try to get un stuck when your and don’t give up

20.   Ryan Says:

Hi Ms. Braidwood and the student of The Ripple Effect!

Thank you for the comment on the Be More Awesome post! This video made me think about when I get stuck in a subject but there’s really an easy way out. I wonder why the people stuck on the escalator didn’t just walk up! I find them kind of lazy :). Anyway I look forward to when we blog together!
    Ciao!

~Ryan

21.   Dawson Says:

Instead of calling for help they should of tried something different.

22.   Tengis Says:

Hello Ms.Braidwood

Im in Mrs.Smiths class people can be lazy but not this much! If I was on the escalator
    and cant move i would well like Im stuck in a box oh yeah thanks on the Be More Awesome post. I just think if would be there i would just go up the stairs anyway see ay later.

~tengis

23.   Tyler Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood,

I don’t know why they only thought of one thing, calling for help instead of just walking up the escalator stairs. Even though this video didn’t make too much sense it still showed me to think of multiple options instead of just calling/asking for help. If I was stuck on a escalator I would just walk up/down the stairs.

24.   Patrick Says:

Hello Ms. Braidwood.
    I think this video shows me not to give up and keep trying. because This person wants help. dont give up and keep trying