Oct
02

“This isn’t any fun!”

Filed Under (Successful Learner Traits) by on October 2, 2013 and tagged , , , , ,

What does enthusiasm have to do with being successful? Being enthusiastic means approaching tasks with an open mind and a good attitude, willingly taking on challenges and being interested in expanding your understanding. These are all characteristics of an engaged learner. When we are engaged in an activity, we open ourselves up to a much richer experience and ultimately, we learn more. We achieve more. We benefit. So what can happen when a rather ordinary task that requires a little more effort is made more enjoyable? Would others choose it over the usual option – an easier route?

Finding the fun in tasks can sometimes be challenging – really challenging. Often, if we can’t find the right motivation, persevering becomes more difficult. Here lies a big problem. Who wants to put their best effort into something that isn’t fun? If we’re honest …. not many of us. But we  can’t expect others to always make our work enjoyable and interesting.  That’s actually our own responsibility. Life is full of tasks that we don’t find particularly fun.

Think back to a time where you were asked to complete something you really knew you wouldn’t enjoy doing. Were you able to find a way to make it more enjoyable? If not, what strategies could you have used to help you become more engaged and motivated? Tell us your story.

28 Responses to ““This isn’t any fun!””

1.   Claire Says:

Hello Mrs. Braidwood. I thought really hard of a time when there was something I had to do but I didn’t want to. Then I remembered a time when I was in Banff and we went on the gondola.

We went on a beautiful hike at the top of the mountain and I liked it, but I got really tired from the late night before on the walk back. There was a lot of stairs that we had to walk down and I was bored so I made a game out of it. I was counting how many stairs I could jump to try to make it fun for myself. My record for how many stairs was 5! I got to the end of the hike before I knew it because I made it enjoyable.

Have you ever had something that you didn’t want to do but you persevered and did it anyway?

2.   Danika Says:

Hello Mrs. Braidwood

Good question. The one time I didn’t find enjoyable or fun was when I had to do the dishes. I didn’t like doing the dishes because they are wet. And for me it takes a while. But I found a way to make it fun. I guess I would call it using my Imagination. What I did was every time I picked up a dish or a spoon or a fork I would imagine that it was a soccer ball
    and i had to put it in the soccer bag. It worked for me, But i don’t know if it will work for others, Because i enjoy soccer a lot.
    When did you not enjoy something? And how did you make it enjoyable!

3.   Ria Says:

Hello Mrs Braidwood,

I think that your comment on the blog is very interesting because it made me think about the message you shared.I have sometimes tried to find out some of “the fun things in tasks that can be sometimes challenging.” Sometime I didn’t want to do something and so I should have been more strategic. For example when my mum asks me to do the dishes I will be strategic by thinking what my mum will say afterwards.

4.   Keira Says:

Hello Mrs. Braidwood

It’s true that if things are more fun people will be interested more. This is a great way to show things are easier to do when it’s enjoyable. I never had a time that when I found something boring I made a way to make it fun. I could’ve made way of cleaning my room more enjoyable. Maybe next time I will. Have you ever had a time that you found boring and needed to make fun?

5.   Dawson Says:

when I was doing my home work and it wasn’t fun but my mom said every question I get right I get a treat.

6.   Kylea Says:

.Hello Mrs. Braidwood,
    I totally agree with you. Who wants to do something that’s not entirely fun and takes effort? Not many people. Some people will not even think, they just go straight to the quick and easier way. They don’t want to waste their time doing something boring and requires effort. I think that people are drawn to the stairs because they’re not just stairs, there piano stairs. That makes walking up the stairs fun and it sparks their curiosity by seeing something different and unique. As humans we are curious, people were probably wondering why the stairs were painted like a piano, but they soon realised they sounded like one to. I think that must have motivated lots of people by just hearing the sound and seeing others walking up the steps, enjoying themselves and having a great time. What do you think motivated people to go up the stairs? Once I had to babysit. I found this one kid really challenging to look after, I didn’t really want to want to go take care of him but I did and when he was not listening I would suggest we take the dog out for a walk. That took his mind off of everything and I actually had a pretty good day.

7.   Charli Says:

Hello, Mrs. Braidwood!

I agree with you, finding the fun in things you really don’t want to do can be really difficult! Enthusiasm helps with being successful because when you’re really enthusiastic about doing any tasks, you’re more imaginative! One time, I was asked to do a chore I was really used to, but I really didn’t enjoy it. The dishes. So, in order to find a way to make it more enjoyable, I put on some music to distract me from the fact that I had to do something I really didn’t enjoy.

8.   Chad Says:

Hello Ms. Braidwood,
    I think either way people should take the stairs. My mom made me clean the pool once and to make it fun I was just swimming while i was cleaning it. How have you made something Fun?

9.   Paolo Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood

I made one of my chores fun by making. A game out of it. And still got the task done. I was just
    doing a normal chore. And then I thought. hmm how can I make this more fun. So I did.
    And I had fun while doing chores.

10.   Patrick Says:

Hello Ms. Braidwood,
    I think this video is cool because I like this idea. I also think people should use normal stairs. If you went to this place would you go up the ordinary stairs?

11.   Ryan C. Says:

Being a former Rippler, I know that enthusiasm is, probably, the best aspect of learning! I do agree with what you said, “Who wants to put thier best effort into something that isn’t fun?” Good question…because to enjoy something, there must be passion!

PS, Great to see The Ripple Effect back in action! :)

12.   Emma Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood

I really enjoyed watching the video. It was cool how after they changed the stairs to piano stairs then more people started to use them. One of the tasks I had to do that I really didn’t enjoy was when both of my older brothers played for the Midget A Comox Valley Chiefs team. They were having a home tournament and my dad told me that I had to help out with one of the tables. So when we were at the rink and I sat at the table one other person there. Also we had to sit at the table for 2 hours cause that’s how long the games are. I kinda made it more enjoyable cause my friend came to help half way through the game so we helped out and talked. What task were you asked to complete that you didn’t enjoy?

13.   Jordan Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood,

I love this video, it really proves that people will even do the more difficult task that requires a little bit more effort than the normal easy path if made enjoyable. I completely agree with you that sometimes finding the joy in some tasks can prove quite difficult. I don’t always put my best effort into something that’s not fun. When my parents asked me to clean our games room I knew I wouldn’t enjoy doing that and maybe to make it more fun I could’ve listened to music or something like that while I cleaned. What hhave you ever had to accomplish that you didn’t enjoy? Did you find a way to make it enjoyable?

14.   Tyler Says:

Hey Mrs. Braidwood,

I like the video. I think its cool how they turned the stairs into a piano. If I had to chose the stairs or the escalator I would probably choose the stairs. When I had to help clean my brother’s room, his room was really messy, and I didn’t really want to do it. I wasn’t able to find a way to make it more enjoyable but i could have had a strategy.

15.   Hunter Says:

Hi Mrs.Braidwood
    I love the thought of a piano stair case. I love the piano and I would love to have a stair case that acts like a piano and we all should find a way of making boring old staircases fun! -Hunter :-)

16.   Heather Says:

Hi Mrs.Braidwood,
    I am a grade 7 student in Mrs.Smith’s class and I have just watched your video and read your blog. I thought that the video was really fun and enjoyable, I know that if I saw a piano staircase I would be using the stairs everyday. When I am thinking of a time where I had to do something it was when I had to clean my room. Now I really didn’t want to but what I did was I listened to music the whole time and tried to clean it all up with my toes. It was hard but it made it a lot more fun.
    I hope you have a great day.
    ~ Heather

17.   Ryan Says:

Hi Ms. Braidwood!

Wow! Piano stairs! I play the piano and take lessons but I don’t think I would be any good on a flight of keys(instead of flight of stairs)! The weird thing it would cost a lot to build piano stairs and the place which owns the flight of stairs probably wouldn’t make any money. Anyway ciao!

~Ryan

18.   Tengis Says:

hello Mrs.Braidwood

Wow what a great way to get people to use the stairs. People should have them at home. Every time someone goes down or up the stairs it makes music. People want to go up and down again and again forever and a nice way to change peoples lives bit by bit and make them more happier. I would really like to go down on those stairs.

19.   Shayne Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood,

I’m in grade 6 and in Ms. Smith class. I really liked how it looked like life was ment to be with piano music to make it more fun! Oh sometimes I wish life could be like a movie where you could sing when ever and wherever you want, also so that music is always playing anywhere you go. Wouldn’t you think that would be good, great, cool, awesome, perfect or just plain ewww?

Why can’t life be a movie!
    ~ Shayne

20.   Logan Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood
    I am a gr. 7 student in Ms. Smith’s class. Those stairs look SO cool. I would way rather use those than a escalator. It is crazy how many people chose the piano stairs over the escalator. It is a great way to make peoples lives a little bit happier. Music always cheers me up especially in a fun way. Would you take the escalator or the stairs?
    ~Logan

21.   Gillian Says:

hello Mrs. Braidwood
    wow what a great why to get people to use stairs. I have stars in my houses a now I will try the why thous people did.
    see you latter
    Gilian

22.   Ethan Says:

that would be pretty cool if they had piano stairs instead of normal concrete that hearts a lot when you fall down them stairs piano stairs would be kind of fun but very expensive

23.   Mia B Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood,

Wow wood stairs, carpet, but who would think of piano stairs! I enjoyed watching peoples reaction. I do play and take piano lessons. But usually I would play on a normal piano, I personally think it would defiantly be cool to try it on stairs. Can’t wait to see the next interesting post.

~Mia

24.   Tristin Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood. I like the video and I think that if you make a task more interesting more people will try new things.

25.   Darian Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood’
    My name is Darian and I think piano stairs is really cool.I would always take the stairs.
    -Darian

26.   Kaiya W. Says:

Hi Mrs.Braidwood,

I’m a grade seven in Ms.Smiths class. What would I give to try out those stairs? Anything! I wish we had some in our school. Music definitely helps me get through hard things.

~ Kaiya W.

27.   Ethan Says:

Hello Mrs.Braidwood

I think its cool that they made the stairs fun to walk up. More people used the escalator before they made the stairs fun

28.   Seth Says:

Hi,Mrs.Braidwood I think the piano stairs are a good way to to get people to realize that they should get more exercise.how do you think they made the piano make sound?