Jan
06

Can You Crack The Code?

Filed Under (Exploring, Technology) by on January 6, 2014 and tagged , , , ,

keyboard_girlDecember 9-15, 2013 was Computer Science Education Week. Darn. We missed it. Don’t judge … December got a little busy with school concert performances, the holidays … it was hard to fit something extra in. But after two weeks off, we’ve got all the time we need now. We’re well rested (hopefully) and so excited to be back at school (maybe), so why not start 2014 with a little time spent learning how to be basic computer programmers? Ripplers, we will be working through the tutorial Learn an Hour of Code, so get your Computer Science brains revved up and ready to tackle some drag and drop programming. Hold on! Wait! Don’t go there just yet. I’m sure you want your work to count and all, so before you begin, please check you email for instructions on how to log in and get started.

You never know … the next Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg may be amongst us, and all that’s needed is a little time to learn. We’ll start with basic code and then see where we want to venture next. Java Script? Python? We’ll have to see. After all, the physics puzzle app, Bubble Ball, was developed by a Grade 8 student in Utah in 2010 and he was only 14 years old.

If any of our readers have already participated in this program, we’d love to hear what you thought about it.  What about the other tutorials from the Computer Science Education Week site? Have any Ripplers thought about or even tried developing an app before or worked with code?

image: Computer Testing by Zhao ! released under a CC Attribution license

27 Responses to “Can You Crack The Code?”

1.   Jaiden Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood,
    I’ve done drag and drop coding on Scratch.I am really exited to lean more about coding

2.   Danika Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood! Winter break was great, but i’m so glad to be back at school. I have never thought about developing a app or a game, or a site, but I have wondered who made Facebook,Twitter, and YouTube, I find it amazing how we can do all these things things with a click of a button. Have you ever developed an app or a game before?

3.   Chad Says:

Hello Ms. Braidwood,
    I am really interested in computer programming and think that this is awesome that we get to learn about it. I thought about making an app with my friends but it never happend. Have you ever made anything with code?

4.   Sky Says:

hello Mrs. Braidwood
    I really amped to do the coding so I can work with my grandpa. one of the things I would like to do with coding is fix my computer if it needs to be coded. yes I have thought about making an app with codes.

5.   Ria Says:

Hello Mrs Braidwood,

I haven’t thought about trying to develop an app before working with the code. I like the fact that we get to try codes too.

6.   Claire Says:

Hello Mrs. Braidwood. I haven’t tried to develop an app or work with code before. I have never thought about doing anything with code before.

7.   Charli Says:

Dear Mrs. Braidwood,

It’s disappointing that we had to miss Computer Science Education Week while we were busy working with the Christmas concert. I hope we do eventually get to learn more about Computer Science Education, since it would be fun. I can’t wait to learn code, and I’ve never really learned about it. I’ve thought about ideas for apps and such, but I’ve never worked with code.

8.   Sky Says:

hello mrs.braidwood

I would like to learn about coding so if I need to program my computer and I can now program with my gramps. yes I have tried to make an app but I don’t know how to code, but I have question for you mrs.braidwood have you ever made something with code? or tried to?

9.   Olivia Says:

No I have never worked with codes before, but I am really looking forward to

10.   Darian Says:

hi Mrs Braidwood i didnt do this before and it hard to understand for me.

11.   Tyler Says:

Hey Mrs. Braidwood,
    I have worked with coding before, I found it fun. I used coding when I made a server for a game I play. Making an app sounds challenging… I really haven’t thought of making one either. But I think that Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and many others did a really good job at improving and creating programs. (Windows, Microsft, facebook, other programs)
    Thanks for showing us coding.

12.   Tristin Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood,
    I never really tried writing with code before but in think it will be a fun experience. I tried to make an app but it seemed to long

13.   Jordan Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood,

I really like the idea of writing code it seems like it could be a really useful thing to know when so much stuff is based on computers and electronics. I’ve never used code that I know of and I’ve never even thought about developing an app, although it seems like an interesting experience creating something lots of people could use. I think reading code and figuring out how it works will be really fun and I can’t wait to start.

14.   Raylen Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood the thought of making an app interests me a lot, iv never actually
    programmed anything but I would like to try.

15.   Dawson Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood
    I have never tried working with codes.But I would like to try working with codes.

16.   Jarin Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood. I never coded before I think it would be cool

17.   Emma Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood,

I think it is interesting how we are going to try coding. I have never tried coding but I would like to try. When we watched the video in class about all the people who have become successful it looked interesting with everything that they were doing. I think this experience we’re getting is great.

18.   Keira Says:

Hello Mrs Braidwood,

I think it’s gonna be interesting learning about coding. I’ve never tried coding before so it will be a different experience. I want to try though. I would really like to know how to code for it would help me out when I’m older.

19.   Desi Says:

Howdy Mrs Braidwood i have tried making a flash game but failed when i was 10 it was a plat former that was very buggy and he could only shake but I wish it worked i spent like 30 minutes and it was very hard i kept taking out the command

20.   Seth Says:

Hi,Mrs.Braidwood I have tried making a app but i failed.It was all messed. The guy couldn’t move or anything and the graphics were horrible .

21.   Braiden Says:

Hi miss Braidwood. I did once but I am more of a video programming type like have you seen my alternate adventure time series tell me if you haven’t it’s really good back on to topic I would love to program a game or app. ps plz read

22.   Kylea Says:

Hello Mrs. Braidwood,
    I think this would a really fun and challenging thing to learn. I have never heard anything about coding, so this is new to me. But I would love to give it a try, I think it would be very interesting. I have never really thought about developing an app before until now! I would enjoying learning more about coding this term! I think it will be a great learning experience.

23.   Patrick Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood
    I have done coding before in Korea. but, I have to learn how to code in English. Then,I have used codes in Korean and English,
    but I have trouble with spelling.
    Thanks.

24.   Paolo Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood,

I have never tried writing with code before. But I think it seem interesting. I have never tried making an app before. But I want to learn how to.

25.   jackson Says:

Hi Mrs.Braidwood. I have never worked with code before. It looks fun and interesting. I am really excited to try.

26.   Claire Says:

Hello Mrs. Braidwood. I haven’t ever tried to develop an app or work with code. I have never thought about doing anything with code before. The tutorial looked like the game was very fun and interesting. I think computer programming looks very cool.

27.   Hayleigh Says:

Hi Mrs. Braidwood. I have never thought about working with codes. I think it would be cool
    to learn so I can make a video game.